Wednesday 15 June 2016

DONNA HAY'S | BASIC TO BRILLIANCE | SLOW COOKED BEEF BRISKET

Oh Donna Hay! You never cease to inspire me. On my day off yesterday I was catching up with the Basic to Brilliance Series on Foxtel's LifeStyle Food Channel. I was so inspired I went to my local market and bought all the ingredients I needed to make the Slow Cooked Beef Brisket




I am sharing the recipe here so I always have it to look back on.


INGREDIENTS

  • 2 TABLESPOONS EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
  • 1.5KG BEEF BRISKET, TRIMMED AND CUT INTO 4 PIECES+
  • 1 ONION, FINELY CHOPPED
  • 3 CLOVES GARLIC, THINLY SLICED
  • 1 CUP (250ML) RED WINE
  • 2 CUPS (500ML) BEEF STOCK
  • 2 CUPS (500ML) WATER
  • 3 CUPS (750ML) TOMATO PUREE (PASSATA)
  • 6 BAY LEAVES
  • SEA SALT AND CRACKED BLACK PEPPER

METHOD

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
  2. Heat half the oil in a large ovenproof heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add the beef and cook for 4–5 minutes each side or until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
  3. Add the remaining oil, the onion and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 4–5 minutes or until softened.
  4. Add the wine and cook for 3–4 minutes  or until reduced by half. Add the stock, water,  puree, bay leaves, salt and pepper and stir to  combine. Return the beef to the pan, with any juices, and bring to a simmer.
  5. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, transfer to the oven and cook, turning the beef halfway through cooking time++, for 3 hours or until very tender.
  6. Remove the beef from the sauce and place on a tray. Using 2 forks, shred the meat. Return the beef to the sauce and stir to combine. Remove and discard the bay leaves to serve. SERVES 4–6
This has also inspired me to make the lasagne for dinner tonight after work. I just need to get the ricotta.  

Photos to come...... Keep an eye out on Instagram (styleon5thaenue) and Snapchat (Vicki Wallis)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management