Tuesday 19 November 2013

My Travel Capsule: In Which Less Was More










Are we going somewhere? Image source.




When we traveled to New York City for two weeks last month, I was sure of two things, style-wise:


  1. Whatever I might forget or long for, can be found in NYC, and

  2. Dark jeans and/or knit skirts work for 99% of our events.


So I planned a small, simple travel wardrobe, knowing I could go "lean". After all, the most wondrous shopping outlets would be at my feet once we arrived.



I packed:


  • Two pairs of dark jeans

  • Six tops, all washable, all in gray, navy and black.

  • Three knit skirts, black and gray.













Similar to this GAP skirt. Priceless for travel!




  • Two cardigans, black and navy













Simple classic cardigans, like this one from Lands End.





That's it for the "building blocks". I also brought tights and two scarves and a pair of great walking boots. I wore my Aldo mid-calf boots (similar) for travel. I brought a faux leather jacket, but traded it in for a real leather one at the Goodwill! I took only one necklace, one pair of earrings and a couple of bracelets. I find I don't change my jewelry often while away.












The new jacket was a fab find. Only $25 and it looks like new! In the statue garden outside The Stonewall Inn.



I had more than enough outfits to cover all our NYC festivities, from an Einstein lecture to a wine cruise, to many-a-tequila at the Riviera Cafe. Here's what I've learned from the less-was-more experience:




  • I have plenty of clothes. More than plenty.

  • I could "lose" about half my closet and not miss much.

  • Getting dressed is so easy with just a few clothes. Choose top, choose bottom, add cardigan.

  • And . . . I still love variety. I'm not ready/willing to cut to the bone. But I could, if we moved onto a tiny sailboat (or any NYC apartment we've seen)!

  • Shoes, baby, shoes. Shoes and scarves, gloves and hats add life to any look.




Does a travel capsule wardrobe work for you? Or do you pack a lot of options? Never a wrong answer, we all have our own comfort rules.



Happy Tuesday!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management