Wednesday 26 February 2014

I Would Wear It Just Like That, And Still Make It My Own

In one of my fashion/style books I found this advice for determining one's personal style: Find five outfits you'd wear just as displayed, and think about why.



I don't know if I've ever bought an outfit exactly as shown in a catalog or on a mannequin. I pick and choose pieces, like most women. But I've certainly admired whole looks and thought, I could wear it just like that, and still make it my own.



I remember a business trip to San Juan, Puerto Rico in the 1980's. I stopped into a boutique to pass a half hour between appointments. I was wearing average business-wear, a floral skirt and plain blouse, I think. I let the owner take me into a private room and re-dress me in a fabulous colorful split skirt, white gauzy blouse, and contrasting belt. I bought the whole outfit and wore it out that night, feeling very beautiful.



I rarely allow myself the luxury of buying the "whole look" (read about issues of "deserving" nice clothes here.) I could, though, go all the way when I get truly inspired. I am trying to use those inspirations to refine my personal style.



Here are a few looks I would wear just as I saw them, and still make them my own:














Full pleated skirt, graphic tee, flatform sandals. Source














Subtle print pencil skirt, basic tee, tough jacket and girly accessories. Love. Source














Print dress, tights and booties. Yes, please. Source. Permission to lengthen the skirt three inches!














Feminine skirt, fitted blazer, edgy boots and trending purse. Source





Looking at these outfits helps me crystallize my style: a strong feminine vibe with some edgy or masculine pieces added in; fitted pieces on either the top or bottom, not both; shoes with personality; small/subdued prints; and a reliance on neutrals.



Do you go all the way when you see an outfit you like, or mix and match?



Have a splendid Thursday and stay fabulous,









0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management