Tuesday 25 February 2014

Do You Stock Up On Clothes?

I haven't bought much clothing lately, and I always have something to wear, so I might be a stockpiler. But I'm referring to the practice of buying multiples of an item. Wardrobe experts advise us to "double up" on fashion basics like well-fitting trousers, sweaters, jeans, and of course: underwear. By doing so, we ensure that our very favorite whatever will always be available, in the closet.














Buying multiples makes complete sense in this situation. Source.



I do the undies thing, naturally - does anyone buy *one* pair of panties or tights? I also get multiple black, gray and white tees from GAP, because they are such staples. But I'm not much of a stock-upper on other clothing. I know myself well enough to realize I am easily bored: I may love a navy, heavy-cotton V-neck sweater forever, but one new one will do. Next time I buy a sweater, I'd like a slightly different iteration.














I do have bunches of these.



My tastes change through the years, and it's not smart for me to buy multiples of, for example, great fitting jeans. By the time my boyfriend-style pair wears out, I'm gazing at a different silhouette. And I get confused if I own too many of one item. And I run out of drawer and closet space. And I have a deep fear of hoarding, and etc.



Our bodies also change over the years, so if I bought multiple Theory trousers in my current size, I'd be bereft to find the "fresh" pair doesn't zip up a year from now. Of course, I could also be sad next year to find my favorite style is no longer available, but I roll with the chances.














Fabulous, but I might grow or shrink. One fabulous pair at a time for me. Source.





And even my taste in "classic" pieces like blazers changes, so the adorable J. Crew boy-blazer I love today may not ring my chimes in two years, and multiples of them (even on deep sale!!) might be a poor investment.














Source





Are you a buyer-in-bulk? If so, what clothing pieces do you purchase in multiples? Are you glad you did?



Happy, happy Tuesday, and stay fabulous,







0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management