Thursday 2 January 2014

What I Wore: At The Zoo

We had a wonderful time cruising to the Bahamas over Christmas. I stayed off the internet (at $3 to $6 per minute I couldn't afford to browse the way I like!), read a great book*, stared at the sea, and ate quite a heap of delicious food. It was a recharging/relaxing kind of vacation, very different from our trips to NYC where we are go-go all the time.












The Port of Nassau from our ship. Colorful and charming.



For our day in Nassau, we tried to avoid the tourist traps and took a bus to the west end of the island. There we relaxed at the Cricket Club, and strolled over to the Ardastra Gardens and Zoo. We've visited this zoo before - it's small and intimate and they do care about the animals.














Never, ever adopt a Trumpeter Hornbill. It's cute and friendly but screams like a toddler.



Only the jaguar exhibit disturbed me: this magnificent animal, who is endangered in the wild because he's hunted for his coat (!) seemed anxious in his enclosure. To be fair, it was large and well-equipped, but he needs more room to roam. I don't know enough about big cat conservation to make judgments but I am going to study the subject further this year.












What a beautiful cat! I was not allowed to pet him.












The temps were in the low 80's, so I wore a light print dress by Modcloth and my faithful khaki sunhat.

The macaw is more colorfully dressed, and what a tail feather!





* The book was Staring at the Sun, by my psychotherapy guru Irvin Yalom. He writes about our fear of death. Sounds morbid, but it was actually uplifting and positive.



Although this hat is humble, I'm pleased to be able to link up to the fabulous Hat Attack hosted by the Style Crone. Please go see the truly special head-wear!



I am wishing you all the best as we start a new year. Stay fabulous and enjoy all your moments.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management