Tuesday 5 November 2013

New York Street Style, With A Mid-Life Point Of View - Part I

What's more fun than people-watching in the greatest city? Trend-spotting, while people-watching! New York is a feast for the fashion-minded - whether you choose to shop or just eye-ball, you will see every current style trend, and some fresh ones you haven't thought about yet.



Here are some of my observations, with a mid-life point of view. That means, e.g., I saw stilettos but the pain they caused me (in my mind) keeps them off the list:




  • Skinnies, in the form of jeans or leggings are the absolute uniform for bottom halves. I was hoping to see some retro wide legs, whether in flared jeans or high-waisted dress pants, but not to be had!













And in white denim too. Image via WhoWhatWear.com




  • Scarves are still - and always - everywhere. But except for Canal Street vendors, I saw no more skulls. Birds are still trending, though! I find them more life-affirming than skulls anyway. Some double scarves were seen, for the more creative.













I really like this birdy-scarf, from Lionesque.












Great double-scarfing! From Pinterest.




  • Women's hair is still mostly long, whether straight or curly. Great looking, healthy hair is the norm, no matter the age. I was happily surprised to see more pixies than a year ago. You go, pixie.













Oh yes, I saw a lot of glorious hair like this! The kind I always envied. Via StyleList.com












And some very fetching short cuts, similar to this cool pixie. Image via TwoAndSeven.com




  • Smaller bags, fewer "suitcases", and almost no backpacks. Totes are still abundant, and needed for city life, but everyday purses looked sleeker, including the on-trend clutch. I plan to try one.













The whole look is so great: the skinnies, shorter hair, booties and ladylike bag!












I like the cobalt clutch. Image via Elle.com





I'll have Part Two of my musings later this week. In the meantime, see anything you like or no? Are you spotting similar street styles?



Have a super-lovely Tuesday,





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management