Tuesday 23 July 2013

The Little Things That Count

I think grooming and preening can become massive chores. Trying out a new lipstick is fun, and so is flipping through magazines/Pinterest looking for fab new hairstyles. But I don't want to add up the hours I have spent priming, de-fuzzing, cuticle-oiling, eye-lining, and elbow bleaching (well, I've never done that - should I?).



And when it comes to beauty and grooming products, lots of promises are made and few kept.

I have found, however, a few rituals and products well worth the expense and time. I think they actually make a difference in how I look and feel:




  • A good haircut that works with my hair. Like all of you, I have had great and horrible haircuts over the years. A cut that works with my fine, curly hair makes all the difference in my day. I can totally go cheap on conditioner (I don't use shampoo) and gel, but I cannot skimp on the haircut!













She doesn't look very jolly, but this is a good hair day!




  • Along similar lines, keeping my silver roots touched up does my appearance a world of good. I don't love the smelly coloring chemicals but the brief discomfort is worth it. I will go all-natural eventually but I am loving the blonde for now.

  • Breaking a sweat via aerobic exercise, and lifting weights a couple of times a week. Daily pushups, sit-ups and squats. All this takes some time, about 40 minutes a day, but I feel wonderful when it's done. It's got health bennies and all that, and I do like to feel strong.













This is my plan.




  • For my face and hands: Retin-A at night and vitamin c serum in the morning. Any old cheap body moisturizer will do for the rest of me, with a few drops of my favorite scent added in.

  • Good OH, as the dentist likes to say - oral hygiene. Brushing, flossing and the occasional whitening strip give me confidence about smiling big.











This is also my plan, tooth-wise.




  • A sunblock that would be effective on the surface of the sun. Like SPF 1,000 if they made it. ☺

  • For the finishing touch, I can skip foundation, blush and powder, but I always do lipstick or gloss, and some black mascara.




What grooming rituals are worth it for you? Even if you're totally low-maintenance, what do you do that you plan to keep doing forever? I always love to hear your thoughts! And Happy Tuesday, all.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management