Thursday 22 August 2013

“Comparison Is The Death of Joy”

Mark Twain said that. It's true: we can be tooling around, all happy with ourselves and our lives, until the devil Comparison creeps into our head.













This came to my mind today because of my gorgeous baby sister. She's lovely, kind and smart. She has a great husband and two darling daughters, and a career in teaching. She told me, "I feel like the fat one when we go out together."



My sis is comparing her build to mine, and feels bad because she weighs a few pounds more than I do. So not-necessary, of course; she is fabulous (and slim too, although that does not affect her fabulous-ness).



I told her she's a goddess. And that if I allow myself to fall under the Comparison spell, I could wish I were her age (43) instead of mine (58). She's younger! I'm thinner! So what? We are both good-looking women on the outside and inside.



I will remind myself to avoid the Comparison Trap. There is always someone smarter, richer, younger, and more successful. I am trying to be a good "me", and that's all I can do. You go, Mark Twain, way to tell it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management